Friday, May 7, 2010

Paris - Day 4

Well I can officially say that my legs and feet are killing me! Rick found that his body was sore and he was pretty tired yesterday but after all the walking I made us do today I am now the one that is sore.

The morning wasn't the best of weather so we decided to jump on the Metro right by the apartment and take it to the end of the line and visit the Aquarium Tropical de la Porte Doree. I am getting quite good at getting us around on the Metro but not so good on the streets :) I was so sure that we needed to go the one way that we walked for about 15 minutes before asking where the aquarium was to find that it was the complete opposite direction. We finally made it to the aquarium which was good.

This was one of my more favorite fishies :)

After the aquarium we decided to get some pastries & drinks and find a bench to people watch. It is always fun to sit and watch the world go by. After our breakfast was done we hopped back onto the Metro and headed back to the Esplanade Des Invalides.

Here is a picture from more than a block away of the Musee de l'Armee, what a massive and beautiful building.

Rick standing by a canon in front of the Musee de l'Armee.

Once we checked out the Army Museum, we moved on to admire the Dome Church, in which Emperor Napoleon's renowned tomb in exhibited.

Outside the Dome Church

Emperor Napoleon's tomb

We then headed not too far away (well when you go the correct direction - which sadly I chose the wrong way again!) to the Musee Rodin. Auguste Rodin's (1840-1917) collections are displayed in an authentic 18th century mansion. Not only was the art very interesting to see, the mansion and grounds were beautiful.

Here is a look at the mansion from the back gardens. On the left hand side there was a garden cafe where we had the most amazing lunch. It really reminded us of our wedding location which was held at the Parkwood Estates in Oshawa. The gardens and tea house are very similar.

Rodin even has a rose that is named after him.

After lunch we headed to the Musee du Louvre. It was quite the walk but I kept telling Rick "oh it's not that far, lets just keep going" but man was I wrong...it was very far! This was when my feet and legs really started to hurt :(

Along the way we passed the Canadian Embassy. I am thinking they need to get a new flag, as should the UK.

Here is a picture along the route to the Louve. The shops were very nice, I wanted to buy a Rolex watch from the one window but with the price tag of 23,000+ euro's, Rick thought my taste was a bit much ;)

We finally arrived at the Louve! The glass pyramid was the entrance. We had heard that you need to be there by 9am to avoid huge line ups but my buddy who caught me taking a photo yesterday at the other museum told us to go at 3pm. We were there by 3 and he was completely right, we didn't have to wait at all, walking right in.

Here is a picture of just a small portion of the outside. Such a huge, beautiful building.

We spent our time at the Louve in the Denon section where you find Italian, French, Spanish and English paintings. It was incredible to see the size of some of these paintings. Of course we had to see the famous Mona Lisa.

A picture of the real thing :)

Both Rick and I were so exhausted that we found my best friend the Metro and headed back to the apartment.


Dinner and then bed....tomorrow is our day trip to Versailles.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah G (in Alberta)May 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM

    Tiffany and I are cousins, and Janet sent me the link to your blog... it brings back such fantastic memories of Paris for me (both with the Huff clan in '88 and on my own years later!). I hope you enjoy every minute of your time in France, and soak up that "spring in Paris" feeling! Cheers!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyra was just a "bit" concerned when she saw the picture of "Uncle Rick" standing directly in front of that BIG cannon! So glad to see you are enjoying MY favourite city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha--I come to comment and find all my Paris-loving family here! :)

    GREAT photos Shona!!! I have no idea how you have the energy to blog and tour all day!!!!

    I may just have to link to your blog and call it mine when you arrive in the UK! :)

    ReplyDelete